What does sustainable construction mean? According to the Conseil International du bâtiment, sustainable construction could be defined as: “the creation and operation of a healthy built environment based on resource efficiency and ecological principles”..
Sustainable construction addresses the entire life cycle of buildings:
- Renovation, retrofit;
- and ultimate disposal.
- Enhancing structure design efficiency;
- Promoting energy efficiency in Buildings (passive house);
- Enhancing indoor air quality, in particular for passive house;
- Maximizing recycling of construction materials (resource efficiency);
- Designing for recycling;
- Reducing waste during construction;
- Optimizing water efficiency in buildings;
- Dismantling a building instead of demolishing it;
- Optimizing maintenance operations of a building during use.
What does sustainable renovation mean?
For a building renovation to bring value to society and, the following aspects must be taken into account:
- Energy performance (reduction of consumption over efficiency);
- Occupant health and comfort (thermal, environmental sensitivity);
- Hygrothermal performance (durability and moisture management);
- Indoor air quality (air changes per hour, off-gassing, contaminant existence);
- Material choice (embodied energy, chemical composition, sourcing and shipping).